Wednesday, December 21, 2011

AFOQT Practice

I've heard of people taking 5 days to study for this test.  I am not one of those people.  I studied for over 3 months.

In case you didn't know, AFOQT stands for Air Force Officer Qualifying Test.  I haven't taken a math course in 3 years and have 0 flight hours or experience.  So I really felt like I needed to cram as much information in my head as possible.  Here a few things I've been doing to help me survive this test:
  1.  The first thing I did was join airforceots.com, Baseops, and Wantscheck, printed out hundreds of pages of information from the forums, and READ LIKE CRAZY!
  2. The second thing I did was go to my local library and check out all of the military officer tests I could.  Here is what I checked out:
    1. Barron's Officer Candidate School Test
    2. Barron's Master the Military Flight Aptitude Test
    3. Arco/Peterson Master the Military Flight Aptitude Test
    4. Officer Candidate Tests by LearningExpress
    5. The Complete Private Pilot by Bob Gardner
    6. Gleim's Pilot Handbook
    7. As many military plane history books as I could
    8. A couple SAT style test preps
  3. Next I looked everywhere online for resources to get this test down.  Here are a few places that gave me a lot of information, especially on my weaknesses.
    1. Here is on online version of the ARCO test - ARCO test online
    2. Here are some sites that give a lot of math practice.  Some the things you won't need to study for the test, but after you find your weakness (what you forgot since middle and high school) the index is invaluable.
      1. http://www.themathpage.com
      2. http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm
      3. http://www.math.wsu.edu/HS/problems.html
    3. There were so many aeronautical websites I used that I couldn't remember all of them so I listed what I am using now:
      1. Resource for the Private Pilot Test
      2. Lots of info on the runway layout and such
      3. Very useful website about many aeronautical concepts
      4. Helful site on airport lighting
      5. Transponder Codes 
      6. VASI video is most useful
      7. FAA Flying Instrument Handbook
      8. FAA Airplane Handbook
      9. Private Pilot Exam Prep./
      10. Useful pics of a Cessna 150
      11. Useful pics of the instrument panel of a Cessna 152 and what they mean and do
      12. Walkthrough of a Cessna 150 Pre-Flight
      13. Explaination of the lighting on an aircraft
      14. Airport Beacons
      15. Airport Beacons
I was pretty unorganized in my planning at the beginning and just ended up reading all the time and taking a bunch of practice tests.  Here is what I would do if I could do it all over again:
  1. Take a timed practice test
  2. Prioritize your weaknesses and strengths and attack those weaknesses with research and practice.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until you have to take the real test.
I made the mistake of taking too many practice tests on my weaknesses and didn't spend enough time just sitting and figuring out hard problems that I didn't get.  Once you find your weaknesses take the time to figure out the answers to all those that you don't understand.

Especially if you have a family, prioritizing and organizing are the names of the game.  One could study for a year on this test and still not be able to know everything that is covered on the entire test (especially the science portion).  Only work on what you need to work on and nothing more.

Even if you're not good at rotating blocks or hidden figures, DON'T STUDY THEM!! They don't count for anything on your test. Study Smart!

Also, immerse yourself in aviation if you don't already.  Go take an introductory flight, YouTube cockpit views of approaches, take-offs, night landings, etc..., and read read read all about planes and their history!


12 comments:

  1. Quicksilver:

    Your study method works great! I got my scores back today and have 90's across the board.

    I spent 3-4 months studying all the stuff you posted along with some flight manuals I used to have when I was part of the Civil Air Patrol. Just so new readers know, the Peterson sample test and study materials can be found online for free on the wantscheck link that is found earlier in the post. The only book I would recommend buying if your library doesn't have it is the Barron's Military Flight Officer Study Guide which provides tons of aviation info along with refreshers on science, math and vocabulary. Lastly I also bought a pack of Kaplan GRE vocab cards which did a great job of expanding my vocabulary; two of the words I studied showed up directly on the test! Learning all the words took about 20 minutes a day over a month and a half which is a bit tedious but paid off on test day.

    I would also recommend getting a book on basic mental math. I swallowed my pride and ventured into the kids section of the public library which had a book called "Mental Arithmetic." It explained how to calculate percentages, basic operations with large numbers and some other tricks all in your head. Being able to drudge through tons of arithmetic problems with a time limit is MUCH easier if you learn the simplest way to work with the numbers. I was able to cut the amount of time it took me to complete the math sections by 30-40% which gave me time to check my answers and visibly reduced my stress for the other sections. I can calculate prices and tips throughout the day much easier now too!

    While I'm writing this long boring post allow me to also say everyone entering the AF via Officer Training School MUST look at the OTS-run website http://www.airforceots.com/. After making a quick account you can talk on forums with people who actually run the Air Force programs that will lead to the job you want and access channels to other successful OTS candidates. If you are wavering about how to join to the AF or how to best prepare for a certain position I absolutely recommend setting aside an hour or two and just scouring the website for all the best info you can get.

    Thank you Quicksilver for the help! This blog is the best tool I could find online that explains the best way to prepare for the test. If you have extra time on your hands (which is probably not likely lol) this could be expanded into something really comprehensive for all aspects of transitioning into the AF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the flattering comments; I really do appreciate them. I'm glad you found some help in my posts and were able to find other methods to help you achieve a great score. Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I take the test in 4 weeks. Was "Officer Candidate Tests by LearningExpress" very helpful ??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm studying for the test, rotated blocks and hidden figures don't count towards the test. When did you find out these two sections don't count toward the test?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this quicksilver88. I just spoke with a recruiter over the phone, and was told that another recruiter will contact me within 5 days to a week to discuss it further. He did tell me that I am qualified to go to OTS, I just have to prepare for the AFOQT. Thank goodness for this post of yours.. Its truly very helpful. I didn't know where to begin, as I have only reviewed a few things from the ASVAB books. I'm still trying to go through your other posts and would like to congratulate you for your achievement. :) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quicksilver88 - Thansk for that post, very helpful. I also had no clue where to begin and am taking the test 12/13. Will reach out with questions. Congrats on all of your achievements.

      @Vanessa Jan Santiago - im beginning studying this month, we appear to be the most recent people on this post, if you would like to go back and forth with progress and questions im down !! best of luck.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this I'm about to start studying best of luck to everyone

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am working hard to help a fellow Airman pass the AFOQT on his 3rd attempt. He has all the great qualities, he just struggled with the math section. I have identified some areas of weakness that we are overcoming through practice but are there any sites you would recommend to help me teach him? I am an engineer so it is difficult for me to explain my methods to someone who isn't as strong in math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since this is an old question I doubt it will help this specific person but it may help someone else. Khan Academy is free and a great resource (math, general science, etc). I also think Magoosh GRE/SAT are great (this isn't free but you only pay $99 for 6 months of access and it has tons of practice problems and explanation videos). You can also get the Magoosh apps on your phone, which provide flash cards for vocal or math. Udemy also offers some math classes (not free) that helps you with tricks for quick mental math.

      Delete
  8. This is great! I will be taking the test in six months. I'm sure this will be a great study tool. Thank you Andrew.

    Cheers,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does anyone know if I could get a high score in one month? I have been studying AFOQT test, but the fear really intimidates me from taking it. How do I know for sure I'm ready?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took the test about 5 months ago and it was a difficult test because of time restriction, questions were not too difficult but time was super short. I did ok in Math, problems were simple math; I struggled with the verbal part, English is my Second language and I'm not sure how to improve that portion of the test, I will try getting some of your study guides and see if it helps.... any specific pointers for the Verbal portion of the test? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete